Jen Dugard, Director and Founder of Body Beyond Baby and Tough Mums
Both mothers of new babies and those of older children have a powerful ally – Jen Dugard. The highly motivated mother of two, fitness specialist and author thrives on showing all mums that they can put themselves first and achieve both the body and lifestyle of their dreams.
I am on a mission. I am passionate about redefining what it means to be a mother in Australia today. While previously it has been all about looking after the baby and children, I am showing mums another way. I am bringing back communities through exercise; building support networks for mums and challenging mums take time out for themselves.
Having achieved my best ever body after the birth of my two children, I am challenging all mums to think big and really go after their ultimate picture of health. Through pursuing my own physical fitness passion, as an elite obstacle racer, I lead by example and knows that when mum is happy and healthy, there is only ever a positive impact on her children and the people around her.
My message on exercise as a mum is simple: “you must take the time to re-build from the inside out to become stronger, fitter and more confident that you have ever been”.
Having grown the now largest ‘specific to mums’ group exercise classes in Sydney, I am scaling my business, mentoring other mums to become Body Beyond Baby trainers and spreading my message further a field and changing the way mums are trained. I am training mums to train mums and giving them a new career in the process.
In 2013 Body Beyond Baby was awarded ‘Highly Commended’ in Anthills Top 100 Cool Company Awards and a with a Silver award in the Australian Health and Fitness Awards.
In 2013 I published the book “How to Love your Body as much as your Baby” and produced the postnatal DVD “Rebuild from the Inside Out” in 2009. I deliver regular presentations and workshops both to mums and fellow personal trainers. I was excited to have been excited to speak at the first ever Women’s Health and Fitness Summit and my workshop Safe Return to Exercise has been rolled out nationally.
Put simply, I am leading the way in training mums and providing profound insights that are changing the ways that hundreds of women are viewing their life as a mother.
My areas of expertise include:
- Pre and postnatal group exercise
- Abdominal separation rehabilitation and core control
- Postural and functional strength for mums
- Body composition and shape change
- Lifestyle change for the whole family
- Safely taking mums to the next level of exercise and training
Being mother to four year old Marley and two year old India, I know only too well the challenges that motherhood brings. Through leading by example I will show you that it is possible to get fit, stay fit and look and feel fantastic as well as being mum.
Rebuilding from the inside out is the most important aspect of beginning exercise after having a baby. Ensuring you build strong foundations will help to keep you free from the aches and pains that can go hand-in-hand with motherhood and enable you to become the best YOU want to be.
In the Media
I have written for and/or appeared in various media publications both on and offline including; Mother, Baby & Toddler, Body + Soul, Who Magazine, Shape Magazine, The Sun Herald, and The Daily Telegraph to name just a few. I also appeared on the cover of Women’s Running Magazine in 2013.
Who Inspires Me?
The mums in my sessions who commit to training and reach their goals despite the challenges that they might face.Those that go out and get – when I want to learn something new I seek out the people doing it best, learn from them and replicate.
- Learn to live in the moment (children force us to do this and it’s wonderful)
- Share your passion and knowledge with those around you – teach all that you can
- Believe in abundance and know you’re worth
- Continually learn and develop in all areas of your life
- Certificate III in Fitness
- Certificate IV in Fitness – Master Trainer
- Pre and Post Natal
- TRX Trainer
- Kettle Bell Levels 1&2
- HIRT Coach
- Children’s Trainer
- Older Adult Trainer
- Registered Fitness Professional (Fitness Australia)
- Senior and Kids Care First Aid
So a litte more about me – my favourite restaurant is Mr Wong’s and I enjoy a freshly brewed Chai tea and the occasional class of Veuve Clicquot. When people ask me “what is my favourite exercise?” it would have to be a challenging bodyweight session, TRX training and the more I learn about Kettle Bells the more I love them (crazy I know!) A great heavy resistance workout always feels great too!
My likes in life are simple – spending quality time with my children, relaxing with friends over a great meal – as I get older, I appreciate these moments more and more.
- Strict muscle up from dead hang.
- To appear on the cover of a fitness magazine.
- To reach as many women as possible in order to spread my knowledge on pre and postnatal health and fitness.
- Having worked in the TV and film industry, I aspire to being back in that world in front of the camera in a presenting or training/educating role.
- To grow my business to support my family.